Is There an App for Handling My Apps?

I must admit that I do not have an iPhone, Droid or even a hyped-up Blackberry. I am one of those people who must see the value in an item before I spend my money on anything. I guess it is part getting old and part economy.

One thing I have noticed is that there are thousands of applications (apps) for each new generation released. Are they still called cell phones or PDAs? Maybe you have to address them as DROID and iPhone. Maybe you have to add Mr. or Ms. to that? "Master Droid, my I access my address book now? Would you help me find it, please?" "Mistress iPhone, how do I call Europe? Oh, sure it can wait until the next update of the time application."

Now, a device with emergency beacon, GPS, camera (video) and telephone I can use. I just cannot imagine using all the apps that are available for these communication devices. I do not want to download every song I already have on vinyl, tape or CD. I do not want to read the menu of a restaurant before I go there. If I need a yellow-brick road to follow to get somewhere in my town, just take me home. And, have you ever tried to read a topographic map on a tiny screen?

What has happened to the sense of exploration and discovery that once defined being American? I love stopping at stores, cafes and chambers of commerce to find information. Usually, I hear what I needed just by talking to the folks hanging around the place. You meet the nicest people and find out about the town's "secret swimming hole" and "where to eat real BBQ."

Technology has left me behind. Unless I can hire someone to command, program and update my DROID or iPhone, this era will leave me behind. It has been fun, but the more technology advances, the greater the technology waste stream grows.

If these electronic divas are so smart, why couldn't they find the way to plug the leak in the Gulf of Mexico? Or predict Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis? It is just my opinion, but I think we need to put more computing power into repairing the world we live in, not making it more complicated.

If you need me, I will be in the public library or at the local record shop. Or look for where the buffaloes went . . .